There are hundreds of marriage therapists in the state of Tennessee who work with individuals, couples and families. From among them, this article has selected 5 of the best of these therapists regardless of race, ethnicity, or gender. The ranking was based on available information regarding their profession with emphasis on personal qualification, years of experience, and comparative costs.
Following, we reveal the 5 best marriage therapist in Tennessee for married couples, as follows:
Dr. Robert Sherman
Dr. Robert Sherman is a practicing psychologist with office location at 7003 Chadwick Drive, Suite 247, Brentwood, Tennessee 37027, telephone number (615 745-1242)
Dr. Sherman’s professional experience covers a period of 38 years reaching back to 1977 as a psychologist at the Bronx Psychiatric Center. He handles couples counseling specializing on sexual or physical abuse, ACOA issues and chronic pain. He is a most sought after marriage therapist for his vast experience and other qualifications illustrated as follows:
- 1968 – Bachelor of Arts, major in Psychology at Queens College
- 1972 – Master of Arts, major in Human Development at New York University
- 1974 – PHD on Human Development at New York University
- Psychologist – New Jersey
- Psychologist with Health Service Provider – Tennessee
- 1977 – 1980: Psychologist, Bronx Psychiatric Center
- 1982 – 2005: Private Practice, Brick, N.J.
- 2007 – Present: Private Practice, Brentwood, TN
Dr. Sherman focuses on adult patients and elders. For his treatment approach, he employs Humanistic, Psychodynamic treatment orientation and hypnotherapy. His average cost is $150 to $160 per session and does not accept insurance plans because his location is out of network.
Dr. David Solovey
Dr. David Solovey is a marriage counselor and a psychologist by profession with a doctorate degree. His office location is at 7302 Jamigan Road (Near Hamilton Place Mall), Chattanooga, Tennessee 37421 with telephone number (423) 438-3227.
Dr. Solovey has over 30 years of experience as clinical psychologist and marriage counselor. He served as:
- Director of Child and Adolescent Services at the Chattanooga Psychiatric Clinic.
- Director of Psychological services at Cleveland Community Hospital.
- Director of Psychological Services at the Addiction Recovery Corporation.
- Director of Psychological Services for Tennessee Valley Authority Eastern Medical Division.
- Instructor at the University of Georgia
- Instructor in the graduate psychology program at University of Tennessee.
His other achievements include:
- Awarded diplomate status with the Academy of Forensic Examiners.
- Awarded Advance Clinician Status with the Institute of Imago Relationship Therapy,
- Level II trained EMDR clinician.
Dr. Solovey specializes on Relationship Based Therapy, Depressive Disorders, Anxiety Disorders, and Anger Management . His average cost is $120 to $130 and accepts insurance plans.
Dr. Tyler Rogers
Dr. Tyler Rogers is a marriage and family therapist r who has a Ph.D., NCC, and is a MFT Intern. His office location is at 4515 Poplar Avenue, Suite 422, Memphis, Tennessee 38117 with telephone number (662) 596-0464. His credentials are as follows:
- Ph.D. in Counselor Education, University of Mississippi
- M.A. in Marriage and Family Therapy and Counseling, Reformed Theological Seminary
- B.A. in Psychology, University of Mississippi
Credentials & Certifications
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapy Intern (TN)
- National Certified Counselor
- PREPARE/ENRICH Certified
- Member of the American Counseling Association (ACA)
- Pre-Clinical Fellow of the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT)
- TNAMFT Associate/Student Board Member
Dr. Tyler is a Pastor at Christ City Church and adds spiritual guidance to his therapeutic methods. He specializes on Relationship Issues, Family Conflict and Self Esteem. His average fee per session is only $60 to $120 payable in cash or check.
Mrs. Valerie H. Temple is a marriage counselor with MA, BCCC and MCLC. Her office is located at Spirit Driven Life, 141 N. Martinwood Road, Suite # 103, Office # 17, Knoxville, Tennessee 37923 with telephone number (865) 896-2789. Mrs. Temple’s training and education has earned her a reputation as an effective counselor. She has the following qualifications:
Education and Training
- B.A. in Psychology
- M.A. In Biblical Counseling
- Board Certified Master Christian Life Coach through AACC
- Board Certified Christian Counselor by the BCPPC
- Elijah House Prayer Counseling
- 10 years study of the Word through Precepts
- Money Map Coach Crown
- American Association Christian Counselors
- ICCA – International Christian Coaches Association
- EWGA – Executive Women’s Golf Association
Mrs. Temple specializes on Anxiety, Life coaching. and Spirituality. Her Treatment Orientation includes Christian, Family/Marital, coaching, and interpersonal. Her asking fee ranges from $90 to $100 per session.
Mrs. Blakely Forrest is a practicing marriage and family therapist with LMFT. Her office is located at 1815 Division Street, Office 307, Nashville, Tennessee 37203. Her telephone number is 654-6827. Following are her therapy credentials:
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist in Tennessee (#903)
- Trevecca Graduate School of Psychology, Nashville, TN (MMFT)
- Middle Tennessee State University, Murfreesboro, TN (BS)
Certifications and Trainings include:
- PREPARE/ENRICH Certified Facilitator for premarital and marital therapy
- Certified-Trauma Focused Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy
- “Power of Two” Marital Therapy Training with Susan Heitler, PhD
- Training in Process Therapy- Working with Traumatized Children
- AAMFT- American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists
- NAACC- Nashville Area Association of Christian Counselors
- The Mental Health Association of Middle Tennessee
Mrs. Forrest specializes on Anxiety and Relationship Issues. Her professional fee ranges from $80 to $100 and does not accept insurance plans.